Many of us want to lose a few pounds but with so many diets and eating plans to choose from, it can be hard to know which works best – and delivers lasting results.
Diets like intermittent fasting, the Mediterranean diet, and the keto diet have gained popularity over the years due to their results.
Kourtney Kardashian And the Jennifer Aniston Among the many celebrities who have acknowledged the benefits of intermittent fasting, celebrities like Vanessa Hudgens and LeBron James have adhered to the keto diet.
Speaking to FEMAIL, American nutritionist Anthony O’Reilly, of BarBend, explained that there are pros and cons to any popular diet and that there is no quick magic solution.
Anthony said: IIt is critical to do your research before changing your diet and to realize that there is no quick weight loss solution or one particular diet that is guaranteed to work better than another.
Make sure to prioritize calories first, then choose a diet pattern based on your preference.
However, with a better understanding of the most popular types of diets, you can determine which ones best fit your lifestyle and overall goals.
Here, Anthony explains the pros – and cons – of six months of…
Nutritionist Anthony O’Reilly has revealed a guide to the most popular diets online, but he’s also listed the pros and cons to educate people about the benefits but also the reasons why they don’t work in the long run (stock image)
Intermittent fasting involves consuming all the calories over a set period of time and then fasting for the rest of the day.
There are different methods of intermittent fasting, the most common being an 8:16 split — which means you consume your calories in an eight-hour eating period and fasting for another 16 hours of the day.
You can also do a 10:16, 16:10, or even 6:20 split Eating: Fasting. The concept is that you will eat fewer calories because you are squeezing them into a narrower time frame, rather than consuming them throughout the day.
Intermittent fasting is the most popular diet online, receiving 1.2 million massive monthly searches worldwide.
Kourtney Kardashian and Jennifer Aniston are among the many celebrities who have endorsed the benefits of intermittent fasting.
- lead to weight loss
- Helps improve insulin resistance
- Reduce oxidative stress on your cells
- Stabilize blood sugar levels
- Reducing the risk of strokes
- It can be difficult to stick to in the long term due to the low energy, cravings, habits and discipline required to stick to the set time frames.
- Studies looking at intermittent fasting also point to some side effects that may occur during fasting, such as mood swings, constipation, dehydration, and decreased sleep quality.
As the name suggests, the Mediterranean diet is inspired by the eating habits of people who live near the Mediterranean, for example, Greece, Italy and Spain, who have some of the longest life expectancies in the world.
The diet is rich in heart-healthy foods such as vegetables, grains, fish, fruits, olive oil and nuts.
The consumption of red meat is minimized, the intake of dairy products is moderate and consists of high-quality sources such as yogurt and cheese.
The Mediterranean diet is the second most popular diet online, receiving 610,000 global monthly searches around the world.
- lead to weight loss
- A diet that is easy for people to stick to when compared to intermittent fasting and the paleo diet
- When adhered to, the diet has also been found to reverse symptoms of diabetes and cardiovascular disease
- The diet does not have clear guidelines on calories
- Some foods are expensive
The Paleo diet, sometimes called the “caveman diet,” involves eating only meat, fish, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds. stock image
The Paleo diet, sometimes called the “caveman diet,” involves eating only meat, fish, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds.
Grains, dairy products, processed foods, beans, legumes, and sugars should be avoided while sticking to this diet.
The Paleo diet is the third most popular diet online, with an average of 200,000 monthly global searches.
Celebrities like Matthew McConaughey, Miley Cyrus, and Uma Thurman are all reaping the benefits of the Paleo diet.
- Studies have shown that it is effective in helping people lose weight, lower blood pressure, and improve other blood markers.
- Many researchers highlight that there is no evidence of diet’s effects on health and that more research needs to be done.
- Researchers warn against eliminating whole grains from the diet, which have been shown to protect against heart disease and diabetes
A carnivore diet is the exact opposite of a diet. Carnivore lovers eat only animal products, such as meat, cheese, milk, animal fats, and eggs.
No grains, no vegetables, no fruits.
Also known as the Zero Carb Diet, this diet is the fourth most popular diet online and receives an average of 126,000 monthly searches worldwide.
- There is evidence that it can lead to weight loss, especially since protein increases the body’s thermogenic effect of nutrition – the energy it needs to digest food.
- Following the Carnivore Diet has claimed that it can fight inflammation and prevent nutrient deficiencies
- A lack of fruits and vegetables may increase the risk of heart disease, cancer, and the risk of death in general
Thanks to the endorsements of Adele and Pippa Middleton, the Sirtfood diet has grown in popularity in recent years.
The diet focuses on foods that are high in sirtuins, a group of proteins in the body that regulate metabolism.
Foods that are high in sirtuin include red wine, dark chocolate, walnuts, watercress, coffee, and extra-virgin olive oil.
The Sirtfood diet receives an average of 52,000 searches per month, making it the fifth most popular online diet worldwide.
Advantages of the Sirtfood Diet:
Many of the foods recommended in the Sirtfood Diet are packed with beneficial micronutrients and antioxidants.
Disadvantages of the Sirtfood Diet:
There is little evidence that the Sirtfood diet leads to weight loss or improved health.
You must follow a strict routine.
In recent years, the ketogenic diet has been one of the most discussed and discussed diets.
Keto, as it’s called for short, prioritizes fat (65-75 percent of daily calories), with moderate consumption of protein (20-30 percent) and little carbs (only about 5 percent, although some versions prohibit carbohydrates (totally).
The Keto Diet ranks as the sixth most popular diet on the internet, with an average of 44,000 monthly searches around the world.
The keto diet is designed to keep the body in a near-constant state of ketosis, a metabolic state in which the body produces ketones from fat to use as energy instead of sugar from carbohydrates (the body’s primary and preferred energy source).
The keto diet has become more and more popular in the past few years, especially with the Hollywood elite, where celebrities like Vanessa Hudgens and LeBron James have committed to the keto diet.
It is important to note that none of these options represent everything, and the end of it all to your health needs. You can lose weight on any diet, as long as you are in a calorie deficit (ie you burn more calories than you consume).
Prioritize calories first, then choose a diet pattern based on your preference.
Studies have also shown that food quality is as if no more important than the number of macronutrients (protein, carbohydrates, and fats) you eat.
In other words: If you’re on a low-carb diet, you need to make sure you’re eating high-quality fat and protein as well.
In contrast, choose whole grains over refined starches if you’re on a diet low in fat.
- There have been claims that keto may help treat cancer and even respiratory diseases
- Can lead to weight loss and lower blood sugar in diabetics
- Several studies indicate that keto is no more effective for weight loss when calories match other diets